Saturday May 6th 9AM-4PM
@ Prescott Elementary School
As we share our knowledge with each other, we are sharing our power—the more power we share, the stronger we all become.
What is Dubuque Free School?
Free School is a free, day-long celebration of learning in community. We all have knowledge and passion to share, we often just need space and encouragement to share it! At Free School , everyone is invited to teach and take classes from each other on a range of issues that are aimed at creating a more vibrant, healthy, and resilient community. Free School is open to people of all ages and abilities. and offers a diverse array of classes—something for everyone!
When and where is it?
This Spring’s Free School is May 6th from 9-4pm at Prescott Elementary School. You are free to come and go as you need—we hope you’ll stay for the whole day but understand that’s not always an option. There will be a free lunch at 12pm.
Prescott is at 1151 White Street—the Jule stops at 11th and White.
Why are the Dubuque Democratic Socialists hosting Dubuque Free School?
As democratic socialists, we are committed to building a social and economic system that empowers people and fosters community solidarity. We agree with Nelson Mandela that “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world,” but unfortunately access to quality education is not equally distributed. Free School is a way to break down barriers to lifelong education and to empower people to share what they know.
What kinds of classes will be offered?
We are excited to offer a wide variety of classes for both adults and children. From job skills to learning about other cultures, to hands-on activities like sewing and bicycle repair, to fitness and nutrition classes, we think there is something for everyone. Do you have an idea? Is there a class you’d like to teach? Is there a class you’d like to take–email us at email@example.com and we’ll see if we can find a teacher.
Can I bring my kids?
Absolutely! Kids are very welcome at Free School. We will have classes for children ages five and older, a coloring and activity table available all day, and a supervised playground. If you’d rather keep your kids with you, that’s fine also.
How can I get involved?
- Teach a Class
- If you have a special passion, interest, or knowledge you are excited to share we are confident there are others who are interested in learning about it. Feel free to share with anyone you think would be interested in teaching as well. All are welcome! Click here to tell us what you’re about!
- Tell your friends! Help with advertising or outreach
- Invite friends to Dubuque Free School on Facebook
- Help with food or hospitality
- Free School offers free lunch to everyone in the community and is supported through the generosity of community members. Come help us serve, help provide food, or…
- Become a sponsor
- Contact us to learn more about the benefits to local businesses and organizations who become Free School Sponsors
- You might also want to set up a display table, letting attendees know about your valuable resources!
If you’d like to volunteer, to ask a question, or to share an idea please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org