Because the first step in exercising our legal rights are knowing what they are, on March 11th the Renters’ Union hosted a renters’ rights Q&A with Todd Schmidt, an attorney with Iowa Legal Aid. At the event Schmidt provided a Landlord Tenant Law FAQ handout and gave a primer on landlord and tenant duties as well as a run-down of the eviction process. Some of the frequently asked questions include:
- What should you do if the landlord doesn’t make repairs?
- What late fees can a landlord legally charge a tenant?
- For what reasons can a landlord evict a tenant?
- For what reasons CAN’T a landlord evict a tenant?
- How does a landlord legally evict a tenant?
Throughout the meeting there were exclamations of “Wish I’d known this a year ago!” and stories of negligence, stolen deposits, bogus barriers to tenants’ receiving their mail, and more.
The next meeting of the Renters’ Union will be on Sunday, April 8th, 5:30 PM. The location is likely to be the same, Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 1699 Iowa Street, pending confirmation. All are welcome!